Sunday, July 13, 2008

Pastels are for Easter Eggs

I'm not crazy about pastel colors they remind me of Easter eggs. Period. The majority of the bedding sets that I see online are pastels. If they aren't pastels they have a specific theme (animals, sports, etc.) I really wanted a bedding set that could go with anything so as the baby gets older I can switch "themes" without changing out all of the bedding.

For those of you who do not know, my aunt Norma is an amazing seamstress. She used to own a bridal shop and when she sold it, she stayed on as the seamstress. She has also made lots of clothes for me over the years and even made some maternity dresses for me (although I can't really wear them yet). While Joe and I were in Oklahoma last week, Norma, my cousin Adrienne, and me went to the fabric store to see if we could find something I liked for the baby's room. I had an idea of what I wanted because while in Waco I saw and LOVED what Laura had in Canon's room. As it turned out, Norma, Adrienne, and I were able to come up with the *perfect* fabric combination. Norma sewed her little heart out for the next three days and below is what we came up with. It turned out so much better than I could have ever imagined!

Quilt


The plaid strip on the top is the valance for the window.
The bed skirt is on the bottom. The orange part won't be visible because it will be under the mattress.

Bumper pads

Close up of the bumper pads

Look at the star stitching! Norma has all of these cool stitching patterns, so she used three different ones on the bumper pads to connect the different color strips.

There are still two pieces that aren't quite finished yet (bulletin board and a "toy holder" that attaches to the end of the crib, but we still have plenty of time). I thought we were just buying fabric, but Norma wanted to sew! She said it is nice sometimes to do something else besides alterations. I have to admit, it really is nice to have it out of the way and I was able to spend time with Norma and even help her a little!

1 comments:

theseemanfamily said...

Jenn, this is so funny b/c I am the same exact way!!! I look through catalogs and hate everything in them b/c I don't want a boy having pastel colors! I love navy blue, red and khaki, primary colors, but no place makes those!!! You are so lucky to have had everything made for you! And everything is so cute, great job!