This year we finally made it to the base picnic-with kids! Last year Nathan didn't go because I had my exciting trip on the First Lady's plane and then it was nap time, but this year Nathan had a blast! He played in the bounce houses, "drove" a hum-v, ate lunch, got lots of free stuff, and just had so much fun! We even got to take a trip to the BX (Base Exchange-basically Wal-mart on base, but much cheaper!) and do some shopping.
 |
| "Oh wow, this black mat came off on my hand! It is so much more interesting than getting my picture taken." |
 |
"Nathan, you should really check this stuff out!"
"Will, I have told you a million times...if you don't look at the camera and let her get at least one decent shot, you will be here for HOURS! Look up, please!!" |
 |
| "Fine, but for just ONE picture...and look what you've done! I tried to help you out by looking up and what do you do?! You close your eyes! We really need to get on the same page here if we are going to let this crazy lady keep taking our picture!" |
And, I can't forget Will...he had lots of fun swinging!
 |
| I want to KISS those cheeks all day long!!! |
This year's base picnic was a little sad for me. It marks the beginning of the end of a chapter of our lives. After much discussion, Joe and I have decided that it would be best for him to separate from the military completely. At this time in our lives we really want to just focus on our kids and Joe's new career. Last night as I was doing laundry I started to think back about our life in the military. Without the Air Force we probably would have never met. We got married while he was active duty. I taught at a base school. We experienced so much because of the Air Force in places we otherwise never would have, mainly California. Then I thought about the timing of the whole thing...9/11.
Today started the process by getting some signatures on his paperwork. He called me this morning and said that his paperwork is dated "11 Sept 11." I kind of got choked up a little. The whole reason Joe joined the Air Force to begin with was because of 9/11. Within a couple of weeks of the terrorist attacks on New York and the Pentagon, Joe joined ROTC.
One of the things that I love about Joe is his love for his country. He did every job that he had in the military with pride and made sure that each billet he was given, whether he was excited about it or not,was filled to the best of his ability. During the 10 years that Joe has been in the Air Force, the United States has fought two wars, removed Saddam Hussein from his dictatorship role in Iraq, eliminated many terrorist leaders, and found and killed Osama bin Laden. There are many more things that I know I am forgetting. Joe can definitely look back on his time of service and know that he served his country well and contributed to the fight against terrorism to help keep Americans and others around the world safe.
Joe's promotion from 2nd LT to Captain in May 2007 at Travis Air Force Base, Fairfield, CA.
 |
| Reciting the oath |
 |
| Saluting Col. Hey |
 |
| Pinning on Captain (trying not to stab him or die of heat exhaustion...seriously it had to be 115 degrees in that room!) |
 |
| Still pinning...does he look nervous or what? :) |
 |
| Scott and Joe pinned on Captain at the same time. They went through Baylor ROTC together, so it was really neat for them to promote together, too! |
 |
| Two newest LRS (Logistics Readiness Squadron) Captains and their superior officer |
This ceremony was right before we moved from California in July 2007. I think this is when he got his medal for serving at Bagram Air Force Base in Afghanistan from January 2005-May 2005.
I'm so proud of you, Joseph.
0 comments:
Post a Comment