Sunday, September 14, 2008

An Unexpected Sunday . . .

Joe and I have lived in St. Louis for a little over a year now. In that year, we have had the STRANGEST St. Louis weather of my life. Seriously. We've had tornados, torential downpours, at least 4 or 5 snowstorms, a spring snowstorm, hot days in winter, freezing days in fall/spring, and finally a tropical depression still named after the hurricane that devastated the Gulf Coast-Ike. Don't get me wrong, Joe is used to hurricanes. He did grow up about 20 miles inland from South Padre Island, TX. Our little St. Louis house, however, is NOT familiar with hurricanes. So this is how my Sunday was supposed to go:

1. Get up at 8:15.
2. Go to church
3. Come home work on a monster powerpoint
4. Laundry
5. Cook dinner
6. Finish powerpoint
7. Relax
7. Go to bed

This is how my Sunday really went:
1. Wake up to Baby Keillor kicking at 6:00 a.m. (I don't mind this part-just for the record)
2. Wake up again at 6:30 to wind and rain hitting our bedroom windows.
3. Get out of bed at 6:35 to check on furniture and other things on the front porch (sometimes I have to pull them in)
4. Lay in bed until 6:55 Power goes out at 6:55 a.m.
5. Get up to check on basement.
6. Disaster begins.
7. 7-9 a.m. mop up water leaking from 4 different parts of our basement (one of which is a drip from the middle of our kitchen floor-how the heck?)
8. 7:45 a.m. Call Joe frantically because the sump pump is about 6" from the top. (He had reserves this weekend at Scott AFB in Shiloh, IL)
9. 9:00 a.m. Joe gets home, we start filling buckets of water from the sump pump and dump them outside for about an hour (I filled using a cup-I wasn't lifting)
10. We leave the house at about 10:45 to run errands and eat, since the power is still off. The basement was pretty much under control at that point so we figured we were safe.
11. We returned home at 1:00 to find that the electricity is back on!!! The sump pump is running and no more rain! yeah!
12. I walk to the bottom of the stairs and "Squish!" Somehow the mat in the middle of our basement is full of water.
13. I am resting now-who knows if anything will get done today.

Next purchase: battery powered backup sump pump.

2 comments:

mk said...

I am actually glad to read this! We had a huge flood in our basement coming from under our outside door (I had to run out and unplug a drain) and a leak in our bedroom (Eric went to work and I started hearing "drip......drip"). It is nice to know that we are not the only ones with bad house luck!

The Adams said...

That is so crazy!! Can't believe you ended getting all the rain!