Friday, August 12, 2011

Hey Texas Friends, this one's for you!

Well, it is actually for all of you (all three of you...the three that read this that I know get an email of all of my posts-ha!).  I read the blogs of a few of my sorority sisters from Baylor.  While reading one blog the other day, she posted about the Sikes Family.  A couple of days later, I read another blog mentioned the same family.  Since they mentioned that Kara, the mom, went to Baylor, I wanted to read about it because I figured if they had mutual friend with Kara, I might too or might even know her from Baylor.  I reading Kara's blog and then I couldn't stop.  Her blog really hit home because her son is only two months older than Will. 

Long story short, Kara took her son James to the emergency room in mid-June because she thought he had a very bad virus.  Turned out, four hours later they were having tests run and listening to doctors tell them that their son had a brain tumor.  It turned out it was a very aggressive tumor, and even though surgery removed 95% of the tumor, it returned with a vengeance two weeks later.  Not only did the tumor fill up its original spot in his brain, it invaded several other areas of his brain.  James passed away a few days later.

The Dallas Zoo recently celebrated the birth of a baby girl giraffe. 

How are these two things related?  James LOVED giraffes.  Each time his parents took him to the zoo, they would go to the giraffes and James would pet and feed them.  He also loved his Sophie giraffe.  While he was in the hospital he received many stuff giraffes.  His mom even had a song she sang to him about giraffes. 

The Dallas Zoo is having a contest to help them name the giraffe.  Some friends of the Sikes Family are trying to get as many people as possible to fill out the form to ask the Dallas Zoo to name the new baby girl giraffe Jamie.  If you have time, go to Kara's blog, scroll down to the post about the contest, click on the link, and fill out and send in the form.  What a special way for his parents to remember him...

Click here to visit Kara's blog.

Thanks!

0 comments: