Tuesday, March 8, 2011

An interesting week!

Last week, starting on Sunday, Nathan had a fever. He had a fever through Tuesday morning. I think he just had a really bad cold. By Friday night he had an earache. The babysitter said he had been complaining about it, so I called as we were leaving her house to catch them before they closed to make an appointment for Saturday. I also got Will's two-month check-up changed to Saturday so I wouldn't have to back in on Monday. Later that night, Nathan was really upset and complaining about his ear, so I called the exchange and begged them to call in a prescription for ear-numbing drops to deal with the pain until I could get him into the doctor the next morning. They did, we got the drops, we all slept through the night. We went to the doctor and it turns out Nathan has a double ear infection. So, to the 1 1/2 tsp. of dimetapp we take every 6 hours, he is now taking amoxicillin twice a day. At the doctor, we also discussed Will's fussy issues and his gas issues. Our doctor told us to try mylicon after he eats and he is a completely new kid! He doesn't have to be held all of the time and the spitting up is minimal now. I also don't have to change close twice a day anymore! Will was a little stuffy that day and Dr. Flug checked him out but said he was okay. Will got three shots, so we were told to get him tylenol every four hours as needed...I think we only gave it to him once. Saturday night Will became very stuffy and had a bad cough. I started using the saline solution in his nose as well as the humidifier, which helped, but I still hated watching him suffer! Sunday and Monday were the same. Monday night was BAD! He couldn't sleep and threw up twice-not spit up, threw up. The first time was on me...it was everything he had eaten in the last two feedings, which for a nursing mother is terrible to see on so many levels! The second time was on my mom, but she said it was mostly green and yellow goo...lovely. I called the doctor yesterday morning to make an appointment, so we went in at 4 and it turns out he has an ear infection in his right ear and has to take amoxicillin, too! So, we now have 2 kids, with a total of 3 infected ears, and two different strengths of amoxicilling. Will is starting to feel better though, but he sure is sleeping a lot still! Nathan is back to my favorite two-year old again, too! I am ready for everyone to be well again.

And just for good measure, here is a picture of my two-month old cutie!

0 comments: