Sunday, July 1, 2012

South Texas Trip: Days 3 & 4

On Monday we all got up and headed to South Padre Island.  Before we left for Texas I looked up a few fun things we could do on the Island that would add to our beach trip.  We decided to go to the Port Isabel Lighthouse and the sea turtle rescue facilities.  Both were great.  Monday we went to the lighthouse.  It might have been super a little scary...words can't describe how narrow, steep, and dangerous the steps were.  The steps had no hand rails to hold on to, the steps didn't come into contact with the wall of the lighthouse at all and there was about a foot gap between the edge of the steps and the side of the light house so ANYONE could fall all the way day, and there were no platforms on the way up. (Run-on sentence, I know, but there is no other way to describe its scariness!!)  If you fell down one step, you fell allllllllllllllllllllll the way down.  YIKES!  On the door it said kids had to be 36" tall.  There was a reason for that sign...Nathan was such a trooper on the way up and down.  He was very brave.  I tried so hard to make it sound like it was no big deal (I didn't have a choice...there wasn't anything to eat or drink up there and it was at least 150 degrees inside!) but truthfully, I was about to wet my pants.  :)  Enough of that.  The trip up was completely worth it-the view was amazing!  After the lighthouse we met Nana, Grandpa, and Will inside the lighthouse information center and then headed to the beach.  We had such a fun time!  It was Will's first time to the beach.  He loved the water!  In fact, once we got him used to it (thanks Andrew!) he wanted to stay in and we couldn't get him out!  Both boys loved playing in the waves and in the sand.  I will never forget that beach day!

Port Isabel Lighthouse
Two cool guys waiting to see the lighhouse  (p.s. I LOVE baby flip flops!!)
My brave big boy at the top of the lighthouse overlooking the bay
Up by the light with "My Cousin Andrew" (that is how Nathan referred to Andrew the entire trip)
View of the bay-Glad I took a picture because I don't think I'll be going up in it again...at least for a very long time!
BEACH TIME!
Not sure of the water yet...
Smile of approval!
Nathan and Andrew had so much fun playing in the waves!  Nathan followed him everywhere all week-it was so cute! (Our nephew Andrew was in from Alabama the entire time we were there.  We enjoyed having him around to hang out with and the kids loved playing with him)
Sand castles with Daddoe
FUN!
That evening we went out to dinner and then came home and played a little soccer...with goggles on.  This may be a new Olympic sport I am not aware of yet?!

On Tuesday we headed back to the beach but this time only with Nana.  Grandpa and Andrew had to finish putting insulation into the guest house.  We still managed to have a great time!



After the beach we headed to the sea turtle rescue hospital.
The best I could do-ha!
Daddoe trying to feed Nathan to the sea turtles...eh...showing Nathan a sea turtle?!
Us with one of the sea turtles
She loved to have her picture taken!!
One of the best parts about going to visit Grandpa and Nana is that we get to try new things.  It is nice that they get to experience some of the kids' firsts, too!  Tuesday night Nana got out Joe's kite.  It was a gift from his first birthday.  We got it to fly.  Really high.  And then we ran out of string.  Now the kite belongs to some guy on the other side of the resaca...oops!

After that it was time for some more soccer!  Don't be fooled...Will isn't interested in playing soccer.  He, of course, is trying to steal the ball from Nathan in general so he can go play with it elsewhere!

0 comments: