Nathan has taken swim lessons for the last two summers at our neighborhood pool, but I wanted to try to find a more organized program. That way he could take a class and then move up as he learned certain skills. We decided to try River Chase and we couldn't be happier with how well he has done. He loves to go under the water now and spends the entire evening at the neighborhood pool jumping off of the steps and sticking his entire head under the water. In swimming lessons they worked in the baby pool on putting their face in the water (using a bandanna that they filled with air and having the kids push the air out with their face), kicking, arm circles, and walking on their arms in the water while kicking with their feet and practicing blowing bubbles at the same time (I thought this would even be difficult for me!). Then they would move to the "big pool" and use a noodle to work on sticking their face in the water, doing arm circles, and kicking all at the same time! They also worked on floating on their backs and "swimming" on their backs. We went to the neighborhood pool on Tuesday night and Nathan actually swam about 5 feet underwater without pushing off of the bottom of the pool. He just kicked and moved his arms! So proud of my little boy who refused to leave the pool steps 1 1/2 months ago.
| watching "brawver" |
| "Can I join in, Mom?" |
| Dumping water on his head. I really liked this because I think it helped him overcome his fear of going underwater. |
| Will still watching |
| Face in the water (the bandanna is under the water)! |
| He loved his teachers! They were so good with all of the kids. |
| I can't flip this picture, but you can tell Will is SO hot!! |
| He is supposed to be practicing his kicking skills but he is so busy talking to his teacher he's not. :) |
| "diving" as he calls it |
| Ready to "dive in"! |
| "Swimming" |
| Good thing she is holding him up...I haven't told him that you can't stop swimming to wipe water out of your eyes and stay afloat. :) |
| So proud of himself! |
| "Man it's hot in here!" |



0 comments:
Post a Comment