Thursday, July 28, 2011

Sweet Brotherhood

I know I have said this before, and I know I will say it about one thousand times more on this blog but...

Since I grew up without siblings, I couldn't wait to see how the whole sibling thing would play out.  I want the boys to be close.  I want them to love each other.  I want them to look out for each other.  I want them to respect each other.  I want them to be each other's biggest fan...besides me and Joe of course!  I know I can't make this happen, but I can try to encourage it as much as possible.

Since Will has started grabbing for things in the last couple of months, I have really been working with Nathan on being nice to Will...even if he is pulling his hair, pinching him, taking his toys, etc. 

Tonight in the bathtub Will kept reaching for Nathan's big pink cup.  He really wanted it.  I told Nathan to give him one of his smaller bath cups, so he did, but Will kept going for the big pink cup.  I asked Nathan if he would mind giving it to Will.  Without whining or any sort of protest, he handed it to Will and started playing with the very tiny green cup. 

Later, Will lost the cup and reached for it over Nathan's legs.  He reached and got his face in the water a little.  Nathan immediately started to pull his legs up out of the water to keep Will from getting more of his face in the water.  He did this before I could even get my hands on Will to pull him up!

After the boys got out of the bath, Will was dressed and Nathan was laying on the bath mat like he always does to "dry off."  I was hanging up Will's towel and heard Will laughing.  I looked over and Nathan had his head down by Will's feet and Will was laughing at him.  I think Nathan was playing with Will's p.j.'s and it was making Will laugh, so he continued!  I then told him he should play peek-a-boo with Will.  He did and Will just laughed and squealed over and over!  He was even laughing louder than when I do it!  It was precious and definitely made my heart melt!

Then, once Nathan was in bed, I put Will in the bed with him.  He gave Will a kiss and then it was time to say his prayer.  (My friend Crystal started having her son choose people to pray for each night.  I thought it was a great idea so we have started having Nathan choose two people to pray for each night...he usually adds Jesus as his third person to pray/thank God for!)  I asked him who he wanted to pray for and he said "Brother William" and the radio and alligator (He later explained that the alligator-which he switched to crocodile-is going to eat the radio...random much?  btw-how did he know to switch crocodile for alligator?  They aren't the same, but close enough!!)  ANYWAY...He prayed for Brother William on his own! 

I know there will be lots of difficult sibling moments, but I will definitely remember these sweet times when dealing with the tough ones...ahhhh, I love my boys!

0 comments: